Welcome to the web site of the Laser and Plasma Engineering Institute (LPEI). LPEI, a research facility under the auspices of the Frank Batten College of Engineering and Technology, is focused on conducting fundamental and applied investigations using Laser and Plasma Technologies.
It offers state-of-the-art equipment and a vibrant academic environment where faculty, graduate and undergraduate students engage together in advanced research encompassing fundamental and applied research aspects in the fields of lasers, plasmas, and their applications in engineering.
Three main themes are the focus of the research efforts at LPEI:
- Surface Science
- Interaction of Laser Light with Matter
- The Physics and Applications of Cold Plasmas
These efforts are pursued in three laboratories:
- The Surface Science Laboratory under the leadership of Prof. Hani Elsayed-Ali.
- The Laser Applications Laboratory under the leadership of Prof. Amin Dharamsi.
- The Applied Plasma Technology Laboratory under the leadership of Prof. Mounir Laroussi, LPEI Director.