The Old Dominion University TranLIVE education and outreach efforts are described in detail below:
ODU TranLIVE will support 4 graduate student fellowships/scholarships and 3 undergraduate internships (summer institute) to attract talented students into transportation research and for workforce development.
- Graduate fellowships/scholarships. Competitive graduate fellowships/scholarships will be awarded to 4 graduate students. These students are linked with one the six TranLIVE research projects that are currently underway at ODU. For example, one graduate scholarship was assigned to a project titled "Develop vision-based systems to track and classify vehicles at high fidelity to enable estimation of emissions." ODU will provide one fellowship to a graduate student as part of the matching funds, and the 3 scholarships will come from the requested USDOT funds.
- Undergraduate research internships.During summer 2013, ODU will financially support 3 undergraduate students to participate in a summer institute sponsored at partner institutions (Note: This is a contingent activity-ODU will be getting confirmation from a TranLIVE partners for this activity). The students will be selected competitively.
- Internship program with project collaborators.The ODU research team will participate in the internship program to support other TranLIVE UTC partners.
The ODU/VMASC Modeling, Simulation, and Visualization Annual Capstone conference has a transportation track. In 2013, we are advertising the new TranLIVE theme to attract a substantial number of student papers. The best papers submitted to the conference and related to the TranLIVE UTC theme will be selected by expert judges and receive cash prizes.
ODU TranLIVE team has participated in developing transportation curriculum related to the TranLIVE theme of livable and sustainable communities and testing it in the classroom.
- TranLIVE sponsored seminars.During Fall 2012, ODU participated in the joint offering of a TranLIVE seminar course on eco-traffic signal systems.
- Incorporating TranLIVE theme in graduate and undergraduate courses. ODU faculty has incorporated the sustainability theme in their courses. Specifically, the Intelligent Transportation Systems course at ODU covered topics that deal with eco-signals, eco-information, and eco-routing. In addition, the Transportation Fundamentals course covered energy use, air quality and transportation emissons.